Salt and Pepper Shrimp is one of my favorite dishes to order at dim sum. Only recently did I try to cook this at home, and it’s surprisingly very easy. And homemade sure is better than getting it at the restaurant.
- 1.5 lbs large shrimp, shells on. Depending on taste, you can get them with or without heads
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- oil for deep-frying
- 2 hot peppers, cut into thin slices – either Serrano, jalapeños, or Thai bird chili peppers
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Wash shrimp. If using head-on shrimp, trim the sharp edges around the head.
- Place shrimp into a large bow. Add cornstarch, black pepper, and salt. Toss to coat.
- In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Fry the garlic for about 2 minutes – until just golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Prepare your deep fryer, heat oil to 375 degrees
- Fry shrimp for 3 minutes.
- Garnish with garlic, cilantro, and sliced peppers.
Salt and Pepper Shrimp