In 2004, Piège opened his own restaurant from 2004-2009 and started a food revolution. "Before we were full of rules. Now, we just want to break it." Alas, came the dish that everyone wanted to try Carbonara Squid which costs 10€ at his restaurant.
- Squid - Use the biggest squid - it's more tender than using a smaller piece.
- Olive Oil
- Smoked bacon, sliced thin
- 2 2-inch pieces of lardo
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- water, or lemon juice
- 4 tbsp cream
- 1 egg
- Fromage Blanc with Agar
- Start with a cool pan. Pour olive oil and add bacon. Wait for the caramelization. Make sure the pan doesn't get too hot. Drain on a paper towel, and pour the fat too.
- In the same pan, add 2 pieces of bacon, cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Add 2 tbsp of water to deglaze the pan, or lemon juice. Don't use wine - that's the old way.
- Add 4 tbsp of cream. You want an infusion of garlic and lardo with the cream. Stir. Cover, and remove from heat.
- Grab a small bowl. Oil the bowl and add the egg yolk (separated from the white).
- Cut the squid into thin pieces. The squid will be the spaghetti.
- In a pan, sauté the squid in a little bit of olive oil within 10 seconds, or else it will get overcooked and too rubbery. As an alternative, you can briefly cook the squid in the oven.
- At the last moment, take the squid off the heat and place it on a hot plate. Add the strained pork and garlic infusion.
- Top with chives and pepper. Do not add salt.
- Finally, add the grated cheese, like Parmigiano Reggiano and top with the egg yolk.
- Cooking bacon in a hot pan is the wrong way to cook bacon. Always start with a cool pan.
- In this dish, the fromage blanc with agar replaces the egg white