Moules frites - mussels with chips/fries - is one of my favorite dishes. I first had it at my favorite restaurant in New York, Cafe Centro, and then again at Steak Frites in Union Square. Below is my take on the delicious dish without the fries:
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 lb Prince Edward Island mussels, scrubbed and debearded
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 sprig thyme (optional)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Saute shallots in butter in a large pot over medium heat stirring occasionally until tender, 4-5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes.
3. Pour in the heavy cream and add thyme leaves, and stir for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the wine. Turn up the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
5. Add the mussels, cover, and steam just until mussels open, about 10 minutes.
6. Remove mussels to warm serving bowl, discarding unopened ones.
7. Add parsley to the liquid left in the pot. Pour over mussels and serve with bread.
Total cook time: 20 minutes